There could be many titles to this post...
- Conquered fears
- Junior High stinks
- Proud to be a Lion
- We may have lost, but my girl won
- Taking the high road
- Facing the bullies
- Proud Mama
- Taking Back the Power
Any of them would fit. A few more that shouldn't leave my head, so I'll refrain from writing them.
The point of it all? My girl faced her fears in a B.I.G. way tonight. She's been overcoming all year long. Jumping into new adventures with a courage that simply awes me. Trying 2 new sports, starting at a brand new school in 8th grade, (Side note...do you all remember jr. high??? It is awful. And she chose to start fresh where she knew no one!) joining clubs, making new friends, building her confidence, growing in her faith, and becoming who she wants to be without worry of what others think. While this is all amazing in itself, most have no idea what she has faced in the last year. The purpose of this post is not to look back at all of the "junk" she has dealt with, but what I will say is that we have tried very hard to take the high road...to not bash people, schools, students, parents...we've kept pretty quiet about it and focused on our girl. Because SHE is what matters. We wanted to focus on healing her, building her self-confidence back up, restoring her faith in adults and peers from those who had completely failed her, and working to help her know what a wonderful child of God she is and that He designed her just as she is.
Walls and defenses that were firmly in place to anyone that met her are slowly but surely coming down. She is finding out that there are people who will stand by her, love her, and protect her at all costs. And she is learning that she is good enough for those that matter. She is starting to believe in herself.
Today I prayed for her. I held her close. I encouraged her. I felt ALL of the feelings for her and with her.
And then...I sat back and I watched her.
I watched her face down a huge giant. And while I know that her hands were shaking and her heart was pounding, She. Did. Not. Retreat. She did not break. She stood tall. She took a deep breath. She believed in herself more than she believed the lies of others. And when it was over for the night...My girl SMILED and said "I did it!" And my heart burst out of my chest. And as I sit here remembering...tears pour down my face. Tears of sadness that she has had to face so much. But also tears of complete joy and pride in this sweet girl. We had a new beginning at the start of the school year....But tonight...Tonight was a milestone. She faced her fears. She faced her hurts. She asked her friends to lift her in prayer. She had a team of girls and coaches that supported her the whole night and showed compassion. She had a crowd of teachers that encouraged her all day long and helped her to feel valued and loved. In facing her fears...she didn't just conquer the fear and know that she could do this one thing...she grew the confidence that she can do all things (through Christ of course).
And I as I tear up again...I am so, so proud of her. Words can't express it, honestly. This girl. She amazes me every day. Truly. But today...I am in awe of her. I love her so much my heart hurts. It has been a journey.
Today I watched my girl go from Broken to Brave.
1 comment:
Tricia, first let me say that I know you and I am confident that your daughter is very much like you. It saddens me to know she has had such a rough road to travel. What a blessing to find those in your tribe who will have your back. How wonderful that she is beginning to find her tribe! I will continue to pray that she gets stronger and will move forward in the path that God has laid out for her. She is destined for such a beautiful future. Miss you friend and sending love to you!
Post a Comment