Sunday, November 12, 2017

Post-Surgery and Oh So Tired

Life was a little busy the last two days and so many have been messaging me and asking how Phil is doing.  I apologize for not posting anything sooner, but between post op appointment, grocery shopping, getting my oldest off to a semi-formal, trying to spend a little time with my youngest and taking care of Phil, there really hasn't been much time to do it.

Friday was surgery day.  He had to be at the hospital at 2:00 pm and I had my 2nd Veterans Day program happening at 1:30, so thankfully my dad was able to get Phil to the hospital to get registered and into his room.  My program ended and I was immediately off to the hospital.  I got there in plenty of time to sit and wait and chat a little bit.  We had thought the surgery was at 4:15, but the surgeon didn't get to the hospital until 5:00 PM. So after a short visit with him, they wheeled Phil back to surgery about 5:10 pm.  And then the waiting began again...My dad and I got some coffee and went to the main waiting room as it was more comfortable than his tiny room. As we were sitting there, some sweet friends of Phil and I's showed up to keep us company. (I had told them they didn't need to come...but they didn't listen--ha!) It certainly did pass the time to have them there and distract me from the clock.

About 7:15 PM, the doctor came out to tell us that everything went very well and that he was pleased.  He let us know we were to meet him at 8:00 AM on Saturday at his office for the post-op check and to have the dressing changed/taken off.  His nurse then came out and gave us instructions and let us know he would come to recovery soon.

Around 8:00 PM, Phil was brought back to his room, awake and very loopy and VERY nauseous.  He did not have this reaction last time (nausea).  If you know Phil, you know he has a fear of getting sick.  He HATES it. But the nausea meds that were prescribed were suppositories and he wanted nothing to do with that (smile). He got worse and worse and very agitated with it.  Finally the nurse grabbed the anesthesiologist and he wrote a prescription for his IV.  Within minutes his whole body relaxed and he felt much better thankfully.    He kept us entertained with his loopy-ness that he doesn't really remember.  I'll be nice and NOT share the funny stories here, but I will tell you that he wanted to take selfies...which is NOT normal...and wanted to be sure it was a GOOD one of us. 

We finally were released and made it home about 10:35 PM.  After getting him settled in, given pain meds and making sure he wasn't going to need anything else, I fell into bed for a few hours.  Back up and to the doctor in the morning for post-op check up.  The doctor was again very pleased and says that the retina is FULLY ATTACHED!  Praise God!!!!  He was more personable and chatty and even cracked a couple of jokes with us. 

He is having quite a bit of pain, not just in his eye, but his whole face and head hurts.  He is having trouble getting comfortable and is pretty miserable.  It's so hard to not be able to help him in any way, other than give him his slew of eyedrops and pain meds and try to help him get comfortable.  We have so much to be thankful for...we really do.  The surgery was successful. We have a fantastically gifted doctor, we have family and friends that are there for us and encouraging us.  His eyesight should remain intact (with a prescription change likely). We serve a God who remains faithful and showing Himself to us daily.

BUT, we are tired.  We are weary.  We are discouraged.  He's in pain. He's uncomfortable.  He's feeling guilty for being down and leaving everything to the rest of us.  He's guilty about not going to work.  We are tired...did I mention that?  I am oh so tired, but life moves forward. It didn't stop on Friday for us (or 12 weeks ago when this all started).  Time marches on and with it we wake up each day and we begin again...only in God's strength. Only with His arms wrapped around us.    Isaiah 41:10 has been shared with me multiple times and friend encouraged me to read it from the Message translation...All I can say is WOW.  Here it is: "I pulled you in from all over the world, called you in from every dark corner of the earth, telling you 'I've picked you. I haven't dropped you. Don't panic. I'm with you.  There's no need to fear for I'm your God. I'll give you strength. I'll help you. I'll hold you steady, keep a firm grip on you.'"  Yes indeed...so here are our prayers requests.

1.  Lessening of the pain and continued healing for Phil.
2.  That Phil could find a comfortable position to be in so he can rest.
3. ENERGY and STRENGTH for me, as life swims around us and I'm overwhelmed with taking care of it all...including work, home, laundry, taking care of myself and all of my family...
4. That we would continue to feel God's presence each day of this trial and that we can point others to HIM. 

Like I said...we have much to be thankful for.  We truly do.  This is a season. And we will get through it.  But we are weary.  Thank you for checking on us. Loving us. Coming alongside us. Be examples of Christ's love.  We love you all.

No comments: