Back in June, Phil and I celebrated our 15th wedding anniversary. We decided to just do a little mini-getaway because of work schedules, kids schedules, etc...So a week after our anniversary, we dropped the kids at my parents and headed to Michigan. Honestly, we had no specific plans...we had a hotel secured for 2 nights, but didn't really have a plan other than to be together. We actually spent most of our time in St. Joseph and South Haven Michigan, but our hotel was in Stevensville. Speaking of the hotel...oh my! NOT what it had looked like on the internet! First our key wouldn't work in the door and then we were put in a wrong room (I had reserved one with a hot-tub). Then we got into the "right" room and discovered it was pretty dingy. Gotta love this potted, very fake palm tree in the room. It also was advertised as having a refrigerator and microwave..it did but they were so nasty looking that I refused to put anything in them!
Then there were the curtains that were falling off the window and had holes in them, the tv that wasn't hung properly on the wall and wouldn't turn on, the furniture that looked like it was bought at a garage sale, the air conditioning that never fully cooled the room, the staff at the hotel that was not friendly or helpful at all...but it did have the hot tub and the room seemed very clean, just old and dingy. We laughed a lot about it and weren't there terribly much anyway, so it worked.
We headed to Silver Beach in St. Joseph, Michigan the first day and spent the late morning/early afternoon there and got a tad bit burnt. I was red but not terribly since I have been in the sun so much this summer, but Phil rarely has his shirt off, so he was a bit lobsterish and crispy! I forgot to mention that Phil HATES sand...he was such a good sport in going to the beach for me...but he never left the blanket! We walked around the downtown shops before supper and just enjoyed the leisurely pace and time together. After supper, we headed back and walked to the lighthouse at Silver Beach and watched the sunset.
This was our view on the beach...so beautiful and terrific weather the whole time!
The next day we played tennis at the high school courts there for a long time, got Starbucks and donuts and headed back for showers. After that, we headed to South Haven to walk around and see the sights, the lighthouses and shops around town. There was an old-fashioned car show going on and tons of boats coming in and out of the harbor which was fun to watch.
After touring South Haven, we decided that what we honestly wanted was a nap! And since we had no kids, we slept for a couple of hours and felt so refreshed before going out to eat for supper again.
The sunset over the pier. Ahhhh! So pretty!
Phil doesn't like having his picture taken, so these pictures are rare finds with him in them. We thought the setting was so beautiful, that we couldn't resist to take a few pics.
Our final day, we headed back to the beach for awhile and were entertained for quite awhile by a boat that was having mechanical problems and came into the swimming area and couldn't get out. A bunch of guys ran out and pushed the boat just out of the swimming area until the patrols could come and help them out.
This was the view from our blanket on the beach of all the seagulls that just wanted some attention. We got a kick out of a little girl who was pretending to be a lion and was crawling/crouching as she chased them roaring! Reminded us of our little bug!
There must have been some kind of air show happening too, because these planes kept flying over us at the beach as well.
We headed back home in the afternoon and stopped for supper at Hacienda on the way home before picking up the kids. We had a WONDERFUL time together as a couple. I can't believe that it has been 15 years. I love him so much! Our personalities are very different...he is quiet, shy and reserved and well...I am none of those! HA! But he completes me and we know that it was God that brought us together nearly 19 years ago to date. I knew on our first disastrous date that I would marry him...that's a whole different blog! HA! 15 years has gone by so quickly and God has blessed us with much! So thankful that he puts up with me every day and loves me for who I am! I love you Phil...you are my best friend and I love you more and more and more as time passes! So thankful God brought you to me! Here's to MANY more years together!
4 comments:
I LOVE that last picture. It is perfect!!!! Happy Belated Anniversary!
-Mindy
I agree with Kevin...I LOVE that last picture, too! So glad you had such a great time away together!
Congrats! Celebrating is so much fun!
That looks perfect...well maybe not the hotel room. Was the hot tub really in the living area? Oh well, fun memories. Congrats on 15 years together!
Post a Comment