Thursday, September 29, 2011

Blueberries and Baseball

The end of summer is always lived out in two ways in our family...at least for the last 5 years or so....Blueberry Festival and Blueberry Festival Baseball Tournament!  This year was no different.  Most people in my town either love the festival or hate the festival...I enjoy going and walking through the crowds and seeing the crafts, etc, but wouldn't spend nearly as much time there if it weren't for the baseball tourney!  We spent quite a bit of time there this year, as Grant's team made it into the championship game!  Friday and Saturday's games were HOT!  I mean, seriously hot...in the 90's and sweltering.  Then on Sunday it was average temps and by Monday we were wearing pants and sweatshirts to watch the championship game!  Gotta love Indiana weather and a baseball season that runs from May to September!  Here Grant is playing 3rd base and chattering to the batter.
Up to bat for one of his R.B.I.'s or stellar hits!
It is double elimination and the boys lost one of their games but fought back to make it into the championship game.  They had about 35 minutes in between their last game and the championship game.  They played hard and lost to an undefeated team (the team that beat us the first time in the tourney)!  They placed 3rd during the regular season and then were runners-up in the tourney and got trophies for both, so Grant now has two trophies to display (actually 4 because they got 2nd in both last year). Here he is proudly holding the trophy.
Way to go U.S. Granules Phillies!  What a great season! We are so proud of you!
This last picture is a special picture for us...Coach has been a coach to both of our boys as they went through this age league.  BUT, it goes further back than that even. This coach and I are the same age and when we played t-ball (just a few years back), we played together on the same team with my Dad as the coach.  He moved away for most of our schooling but now is back in the area and has coached both of my boys.  He is an awesome coach and we were so blessed to have a coach that loves the game and is great with the kids too.  Tough on them, but always so encouraging as well. 
So, as the tournament wound down, I took this picture because it is the LAST year that Coach will be the coach for us.  Both of my boys will be in the older league next year.  I must say that I got teary eyed...to know that we were done with this coach, that we were done with this league, AND done with the Blueberry Festival tournaments too...I think we'll go back to watch coach and his team next year!  Thanks for a great few years Coach Rich!

No comments: