Surgery is finally over. It was a long wait (7 weeks from when I found out I needed surgery). It was set up for my fall break and we weren't sure what we were going to find when the Doc got in there. It ended up that there was NO tear in the rotator cuff (Thank you Jesus)! I had several issues that needed fixing though. I had a lot of scar tissue built up from my fall last year at school and a spider web of threads coming off of my labrum with a lot of redness, along with a large bone spur that was the culprit of much of my pain we think. So, this is me in my sling...a bit inhibiting, but I'm so thankful for it. You would be amazed at how much we move our arms/shoulder out of instinct and this keeps me from making too many "mistakes" of movement. I'm sore and very tired, but God is carrying me through this as well. He is so good.
Here's a close up of just the arm portion of the sling. I wear it all of the time, even to sleep. After seeing the doctor this morning, I am released to take it off at times when at home to encourage more movement, but will need to keep it on in public and especially at school to keep it from getting injured. Physical therapy begins soon and I'm on the road to recovery.
Here are the flowers I received from the staff at school...the picture doesn't do it full justice of all of the orange in the arrangement...but they do know me well by making it orange! HA!
Before the surgery I began to feel much fear and apprehension. I called on friends to give me their favorite scripture about fear and casting it out and then asked some people to pray specifically in that direction. I just want to tell you that the night before and day of the surgery, I was as calm as a cucumber. I had NO fear at all. Just a peace that truly passed all of my understanding. God was present with me and I was very calm...even in the midst of a tornado warning at the hospital and a post-ponement of the surgery because of it...All for a reason that I don't know...but the key is that there was no fear. It was taken away. Thanks for your prayers and scriptures for those who gave them. He is good!
Below is a picture of me icing that shoulder at school...good times!




4 comments:
you may not remember this, but i took a cd of me singing into the surgery unit and told them you had requested this be played during your surgery! it worked!!!!!! love ya friend and you are looking good!!
Hmmmm...i vaguely remember trying to hold my ears and they wouldn't let me...now I know why! HA! Just kidding :)
So glad to hear that all is healing well!
so glad things were better than the doctor first thought! praying for a speedy recovery. i did notice you had regular jeans on friday. that's a huge step already! :)
Post a Comment