A few weeks ago I RE-started a prayer group of staff at the school where I teach. We had met for several years under the tutelage of a fellow teacher that always had wonderful lessons/ scripture to share for our devotional and then we prayed together for our needs, praises, and for our school body. That teacher went to a different building and I felt God tugging at my sleeve and saying..."Your turn to lead". For a few weeks, I replied back to Him..."no thanks, i can't do that". Well, we know where that was headed, so yes, I gave in and started it back up again. The numbers have been few in attendance, and I must admit that I was discouraged at first about that...then I realized that even if no one else shows up to the group...I have still prepared, prayed and given a lesson for myself if nothing else. A couple of weeks ago, below is what we talked about before our prayer time. God hasn't let me down in leading me to things that someone in the group needed to hear. I'm out of my comfort zone in leading this group, but God will provide...I have no doubt in that. So, every now and then I may share on here a bit of what we discuss (scripture-wise...don't worry teacher friends that I will share anything "pesonal"!) This lesson stemmed from a sermon that our pastor gave a few weeks ago. It had my brain working and may not be the direction he was really taking it, but it is what God showed me...
Matthew 6:19-21
Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. 20 But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do NOT destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. 21 For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.
We talked about how our “treasures” are not just money to give to the church, but our time and our possessions as well. Where do we “invest” our time at each day…Am I trying to simply survive until the next day or am I using opportunities today? Am I teaching music or am I teaching students? Am I being a Godly example to my own kids, or just trying to “get it all done” in the evening so we can start again the next day? What does the world see as my treasure? My most important focus? Praying that the answer will continue to get closer to my treasure being whatever God wants my focus to be…people and relationships and eternal glory…not survival, doing my job and earning a check. Many times I've had to stop myself during the day and refocus on the treasure that God wants me to be focused on...hoping that continues.
May you be blessed today and may your treasures be in line with HIS for you.
1 year ago
1 comment:
way to obey! i know it is hard when it isn't comfortable, but i believe, and you have already experienced, God rewards our obedience:)
Post a Comment