Sunday, September 13, 2009

Thoughts on church

So...typically I use this blog simply to show some pictures and keep my in-laws updated on our lives...but today I'm feeling the need to go outside of that box a little...maybe to spew a little bit...well, spew isn't the right word, because I'm not ANGRY...just really concerned and questioning things. At church today we were told that a new "mission" (I don't think they used that word exactly) for the church was evangelism and bringing new people to Christ and also to our church. I'm not opposed to this in theory...yes, we should be witnessing to others, sharing our stories with them and trying to win people to Christ. I'm not opposed to bringing people into our church family either...growth and change is a good thing. However, in light of some recent events (which I will NOT go into details about)...I'm wondering if that is truly where our focus should be? I love our church. I REALLY do...I feel connected, loved and I truly feel God's presence there and as a part of the worship team. I don't want anyone to think I'm bashing my church, because I sincerely love it. BUT...it seems to me that even though quite a few new people have been attending our church...our attendance hasn't seemed to go up...we've lost people...some people haven't been coming for awhile. What are we doing about those people? Maybe "someone" is doing something, I could be bloviating for no reason...but it seems to me that we aren't doing a great job of taking care of our current family...so why are we trying to bring more people in when we can't take care of the ones that we have? Maybe it's a case of slipping through the cracks or thinking someone else has done something...I would be guilty of that too (so I'm not blaming others only...I'm bad at this too). But I can name probably two handfuls of families that I haven't seen in awhile, along with people that attend our church and we are not meeting their physical, emotional or spiritual needs. So maybe instead of just going out and "recruiting" church family, we need to examine what we are doing for/how we are treating the family that is already here. I don't think we can narrow the focus to just evangelizing...it MUST include ministering to our "own". So, what am I going to do about it? I don't know, so I'm just as guilty...but I do realize the problem and am praying about it...a small first step. Saving souls is soooo important and I believe in it. But saving family needs to be a priority too...don't know what exactly that means or looks like. Just putting it out there. Thanks for letting me "spew".

2 comments:

Kevin Flick said...

it's ok to spew! that is so hard and we are all guilty of that. i think it is so cool that God has really laid this on your heart. the possibilities of how He could use YOU in something regarding this burden are limitless! there is a reason why He chose you to feel this burden. can't wait to hear more on this...it is SOOOO important! soooo important and i can speak very honestly from the heart on that!

Kristi said...

Well, I have had the same prayer lately. I feel like my church is emphasizing on growth. Meanwhile, my son's classes have been cancelled because of lack of teachers. I was told that I should not be volunteering in the area I am, that I need to be in my child's class. I just keep thinking that we need to take care of what we have now, because we'll never be able to take care of the new growth too! I totally understand where you are coming from. You are not alone. Must be a church universal issue! As I pray, I wonder, what will I do or can I do to help this issue?!