Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Hurts

I need to add some pictures and things of my kids, but right now just want to bloviate a bit (Don't ya love that word?...bloviate--fun to say too). Anyway, in the past few weeks I have been wrought with hurts...emotional, physical, spiritual. Over 3 weeks ago, my dear friend lost a sister to an accident...I feel her pain. Do I understand it fully? No...I've not lost a sister...but I feel FOR her. I can't believe the intensity of the feelings. I just want to make it better for her...to right her world, to say the right things, to comfort her, to show her Christ's love, to make it all just disappear. But I can't and even though those feelings are there...I know that she NEEDS to experience this...that God is going to do great things and use her through this. But as many of you know, I lost my best friend in high school and...well, no one could make it better for me and I'm sure that there were people who wanted to. And God DID indeed (and continues) to do great things through me because of that experience...but if you've ever been in that situation of losing someone, the words and reassurances from scripture don't help the hurt. They may in fact be true..."God works all things for the good" is a big one...it is true, but darn it, it just doesn't make the pain any less...and in fact sometimes makes it worse at the time. Because think about it...when we lose someone and grieve, we can't imagine anything "good" about it. It hurts. It angers. It doesn't go away EVER. The loss is always there. After 17 years, it still hurts, but I can see the good...not that Kiara is gone, that part still sucks...but that I wouldn't be the person I am today without some of those experiences.
So, what do I do? It's hard. I can't take the pain or make it go away...instead I hope that in my experience I can seek God's wisdom and I can let my dear friend be just who she needs to be, and let her grieve just as she needs too...that I won't be stupid and even TRY to make it better...I can't. So I will continue on this journey with her, with no expectations, and no rules...just being there and trusting God and hopefully showing her that love too.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I believe, dear friend, that they should attach this post to the back of programs at funerals as what to tell grieving people.