Thursday, July 28, 2016

No longer tongue-tied

Okay...oops!  It's been 5 months since my last post when I was preparing for a minor tongue surgery to "un-tie" my tongue.  The brief recap for a reminder was that my doctor had someone that had her tongue untied and it resulted in the disappearance of neck pain...after 12 1/2 years and trying some VERY bizarre things, I decided to go for it and have the surgery.  It wouldn't hurt me in any way, so there was really nothing to lose.  So, back on February 25, on a very snowy day, I headed north for the surgery.  The actual surgery was very quick...the numbing took the longest while he waited to be sure I was numb.  I sat nervously in the chair praying that this would be "it", that it wouldn't hurt, that my singing/speech wouldn't be effected, that God would give me strength and peace no matter what the outcome.  Once he started it took only about 5-7 minutes and was uncomfortable but not necessarily painful.  Before hand he had told me that some patients have immediate relief and others it was a gradual decline...we all know what I was hoping for.  As I sat up and moved around a little bit I kept telling myself not to be too hopeful, to just stay calm and wait and see.  They asked me if I wanted to see it and I said no because I just couldn't imagine what it would look like and was already feeling a bit queasy.  But I only got to the car before pulling down the visor to take a look.  This is what I saw...
I thought...Oh my word, I have a hole in my tongue!!!  It looked so bizarre to me!  I had to go to the tongue therapist an hour and a half later and I couldn't stop moving my tongue all around to see how far it would move.  The therapist worked with me and gave me exercises to do 3 times per day so that it didn't heal closed again.  I did my exercises religiously.  So the next week people asked me over and over and over and...you get the idea...if it had helped or not and I kept saying that it was too soon to tell.  After a week, I sat the hubby down and broke the news to him...I was almost COMPLETELY PAIN FREE!!!!  Shut the front door, right?  In fact, I had been nearly pain free from the moment of the surgery, but I kept thinking that it was just the placebo effect and waiting for the pain to return.
Two weeks after surgery I woke up and was back up to a level 5 or 6 of pain and just bawled...how could this be happening?  I had my check up from the surgery that week and my main doctor happened to walk by and spotted me in there so he stopped to give me a quick exam and see how I was.  I told him I had been nearly pain free for 2 weeks, but then it had come back the past weekend.  He assured me it could just be a set back and also asked if I had a cold or any other sickness symptoms.  I did not and he told me it wouldn't surprise him if I got sick within the next few days.  He explained that any infection or illness is going to start at the weakest area of my body every time, so my neck may be the first to feel any illness for years to come. Would you believe I was in bed sick the entire weekend that weekend???  And every day after that the pain lessened until I was back to nearly pain free.  Not joking at all, ya'll!!!
Since the surgery I have had several times of those short set-backs and it lasts a couple days before easing up again.  You guys...I have been nearly pain free for 5 months now!!!!  I can't even tell you what that feels like after 12 1/2 years of pain.  My energy level skyrocketed.  I got very silly and happy both at school and home.  Students asked me if I had more coffee than normal because I was in such a good mood and extra crazy!  Before we told my kids, they too asked why I was so happy.  Just 1 1/2 months after the surgery I began running again...not far and not fast but I was running twice a week! (Since had to take a break due to a hip issue...but it wasn't because of my neck!!!!) 
I know this all sounds crazy, right?  I know but seriously this is real and I feel awesome!   There are so many details I could give that would amaze you in my progress and abilities now, but I have to stop and just give complete glory to God in this.  My doctor apologized that it took him so long to think of this as I'd been seeing him for over 2 year.  I teared up and told him I wouldn't change a thing.  And I really wouldn't...every low point, had a purpose and God revealed Himself to me...my relationship with God grew in leaps and bounds that wouldn't have happened if I had been healthy...my story of faith and reliance on God could not be shared without every single step of this 12 1/2 years.  God is so faithful you guys...so incredibly faithful.  He didn't leave me for a second.  His hand was on me the entire time.
Now...what's ironic and so like God...in January I was at a women's IF:gathering conference at our church.  To make a long story short, at the end of the conference we were to write down what we felt God telling us to DO...I stood in front and said that I thought He wanted me to tell my story.  I don't remember my exact words, but the essence was I felt He wanted to loosen my tongue so be able to speak boldly about his awesomeness in this journey and how he has been revealed to me...I said I had no idea how I would do that (I have thoughts on that, but for a different post).  Isn't it ironic that what healed me AFTER I shared what He was telling me to do, and the healing came through un-tying my tongue...essentially loosening my tongue to tell my story.  Jesus, may I never be tongue-tied in telling of your grace, love, strength and mercy.  Thank you Jesus, for healing, for health, but most of all for the journey...because without it, I would not be who I am today. Amen.

4 comments:

Alicia said...

Praise the Lord! God is so amazing and I am so happy for you that FINALLY you got the answer you had been searching for. Praying that you continue to feel better always!

Megan said...

❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤

Jessica said...

Wow! So happy for you. It's been a long battle and you have won. Praise Jesus!

Jessica said...

Wow! So happy for you. It's been a long battle and you have won. Praise Jesus!