The title says it all, doesn't it? Life is simply better with laughter. At the start of 2023 I had a friend dub this my year of fun. And it truly has been. That's a separate post than this one though that I will recap the year in late Decmeber or January. Lately (as in the last few months) I have become keenly aware of my laughter. I love to laugh. Sometimes even when things aren't all that funny. My bestie and my school family especially have helped me to expand my laughter and joy this year. And I am incredibly thankful for that. In my day to day work there are some really heavy moments and those moments are filled with stress, hurt, compassion, and times my heart is ripped out for my students. But in the midst of that, I have found joy and laughter in a job that I love...with friends to support me...with co-workers that have become part of my family. This past week Kiara had a meeting in the evening at school and I had one right after school so we didn't come home in between. I had all of these plans of all the work that I was going to accomplish during this time and while she was at her meeting. I had goals. But laughter and fun and adventure trumped all of that and I had an evening full of laughter. After my own meeting, my office became a hodge-podge hangout of a couple of colleagues and a few of Kiara's friends hanging out for the evening meeting. It was mix of generations...yes I was the oldest...and I just loved listening, interacting, and laughing...at each other, at myself, and at silly things. Instead of getting down to work, a friend/co-worker and I decided to venture off on a walk outside since it was so nice.
When I say that we walked, most would think we just took a nice walk, chatted, and came back to school refreshed after exercise. We chatted, obviously because we are both chatty, but the walk was filled with more than chatter...it was filled with laughter. We:
- ran into trash cans (well one of us did...)
- almost fell off the sidewalk (the other one of us)
- nearly got hit by a car when another car waved us on in front of them
- wondered outloud random things
- got stopped by a former (and current) student driving around who spotted us and knew it was us, even though it was very dark out
- imitated slow-motion running (which in reality is my running pace--which was funnier)
- had to stop to go inside to go to the bathroom, because the adage that you walk faster if you have to pee simply wasn't true for us.
- planned a podcast (we've been talking about it for awhile and even have a name)
- "practiced' the opening of the podcast
- explored possible topics for said podcast
- dreamed bigger into our own youtube channel (you guys...no one wants to see this)
- sang solos in the spotlight (well one of us did)
- took "live" pictures that turned out HILARIOUSLY
- checked out some vintage workout equipment
- learned that doors are how people get to different places (don't ask)
- peeked in like spys to the scrimmage basketball game (when we could've simply gone in)
- snuck some food from the FFA Thanksgiving feast meeting (we were invited...didn't just steal it)
- Never go on a run for a first date...that could be dangerous and requires the right attire (don't ask)
- Don't eat fried chicken on a first date. Trust us.
- Always check under your desk or at least be more observant of feet sticking out
- Work will still be there tomorrow...take the time for fun!
- It's ok to laugh at yourself.
- An evening at school of doing "nothing" can be the BEST time.
- Our ab muscles got a great workout for the night.
1 comment:
Oh friend I miss your laughter! The saying that laughter is the best medicine isn’t wrong! Keep laughing and much love to you!!!
Post a Comment