Sunday, October 1, 2023

Loving what I do

This week was a long one...lots of hours at school, some by choice to watch sporting events and some not so much by choice with meetings and "situations". My days were non-stop and I had a couple days that I didn't sit down at my desk or check my email until after 11:00 AM, which is very unlike me.  Another day I left school for the day well after school hours and still had 20+ emails that were unread, which is REALLY not like me.  One day an administrator stopped to check on me because he knew that it had been crazy busy for me and I said I was good. He gave me a look and I said "No, I'm really, really good!'.  I realized as I left school that day that I was indeed good.  Very good.  And that felt amazing! I even text a friend with this message: "You know what's awesome? Today was LONG and a LOT but I left feeling energized and purposeful."  As I drove home I waited for the exhaustion to kick in because it had been a lot that day...but it didn't.  Instead I was content and thinking how much I love my job. I truly do, even the hard parts of it. I can deal with a lot of heavy on a daily basis and trust me that not every day do I feel energized and puposeful. Some days just are hard and I'm wiped out and weary.  But even on those days...Man I love my job!  It is amazing to be right where God put me doing what He wants me to do. There is no other explanation. 

And my co-workers??? So thankful to call so many of them my friends. They are people I enjoy and love being around. I know I've mentioned it before, but throughout my teaching years, I was often an island...music teachers (or any "special"--I hate that name for it...but I won't go there today) especially in an elementary school are on there own.  Everyone has a "team" but specials are so vastly different and often on such different schedules, that I never really felt like I fit in at any of the schools I was at.  Meetings?  They would sit with their grade levels. Lunch? Often the same. Now that I am a school counselor, my position is vastly different and I have an office within the office and am surrounded by a team that works hard but still have a lot of fun together.  I feel like I have a spot. I'm not on my own island anymore. And I simply love it.

Life is short and I'm so glad that I took the plunge to change careers in mid-life. I love going to work again and even in my 4th year now...It feels fresh, new, and exciting every day.  Every day is different. Sometimes it is H.A.R.D. and there are tears and exhaustion. But even after those days, I'm ready to go back the next day to be with my co-workers, to love on my students, and feel a part of a team that is energizing and purposeful.  How stinking lucky am I?

No comments: