Sunday, October 22, 2017

Head Down...Still

We headed back to the eye specialist on Friday morning.  Going into the appointment, we were very hopeful that Phil would be able to be upright again so that he could go to Brock's football Sectional game that night...That was not to be.  The exercises and positioning he has been doing are indeed working to continue the attachment process with the retina, but there is still some slight fluid and detachment in the "bad" eye, so he is continuing the head down position, along with the exercises 5 times a day (it was 10 times a day).  The exercise that he has to do I call "standing on his head"...he hangs over the bed, upside down, with the top of his head just touching the floor for 10 minutes at a time. The normal face down time is 2 weeks...we are at week 4 this week.  He is tired of laying and is so very bored, as he can't watch tv, read, text, etc.  He is supposed to limit his eye use so that it can be stable and heal properly.

We also talked about the "good" eye at the appointment.  We had thought we would be setting up the full blown surgery and re-starting the face down for the good eye this week.  The surgeon looked at the good eye at this appointment in great detail.  He has decided that he is going to TRY to do laser surgery in the office on Wednesday of this week.  He has already done this and it was unsuccessful, but he would like to try it one more time to see if he can prevent the full invasive surgery that was done on the "bad" eye.  We will have the laser surgery on Wednesday afternoon.  We are praying this works as it will mean he will not have to do face down for THAT eye and that the end of face down is near (likely this week).  If the laser surgery is unsuccessful, we will then set up the full surgery for later in the week (we think).  Our surgeon likes to take it one step at a time and not talk about what-ifs or what's next.    So we wait again...I go back to work this week after being home for Fall Break all week.  It has been nice to be home, get caught up on some things, spend time as a family and REST.  Tomorrow starts the whirlwind again and I can feel the anxiety of the busy-ness already.

So, the number 1 question I get is "What can I do to help?".  Honestly, there isn't a lot anyone can do...and with football ended now, the kids will be home to help more and there will be less running hopefully.  So, my answer sounds a bit rehearsed and contrite, but is honest...please pray for us...below are some ways you can pray this week for us...

1.  Pray for patience for the hubby as he continues face down.  He is so tired of it and I just can't imagine. Also for rest for him...he is not sleeping well for any length of time and he is exhausted.

2. Pray for the laser procedure on Wednesday, that it might be successful and no major surgery be required on the good eye. And that the bad eye would continue to heal and he can be upright again.

3. For energy and strength for me as I continue to run the household and do it all.  I have been blessed with a husband that works with me and has a 50/50 relationship with me...but that means I'm a bit overwhelmed with it all....I'm doing good...I really am, but can definitely use prayer to know when it's okay to let things go and take care of myself as well.

God has been so good to us and we have found reason to praise, even in these events.   We have seen God moving...and He has been providing for us...enough for each day.  Thank you for your prayers.  Phil may have to have his head down, but we are looking up ;)  Blessings to you...

No comments: