Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Dr. Visits and Surgery Scheduled

I actually had an ENTIRE week with NO doctor's appointments.  That is the first week of the entire summer.  Most weeks I have had multiple appointments even.  This week is no different.  I had two appointments, both on the same day, so thankfully I only had to drive the hour there and back on one day instead of two separate days.  The first appointment was with the shot Doc, Dr. C.  This was a re-check on my foot primarily, and to go over what I have been doing, progress made and any other issues. My foot is not 100% healed, so he did just a couple shots and told me that I need to keep wrapping it daily for 2 more weeks. (Maybe the last week of summer I can get ride of the tan lines this has created????)  I discussed with him some shoulder issues I have been having, which he believes to be strained/pulled tendons.  He did some stretches and pressure points with me for that and said we will keep an eye on it.  I go back to him  in 4 weeks to re-check things.  At that point he may do some work on my neck and/or lower back area depending on my progress at that point.
I had a 3 hour break in between appointments...so I went SHOPPING!  I got some great deals at Good Will, and Kohls and was able to browse a bit at Target, and a few other stores.  It was nice to shop and know that I didn't need to rush home...although, I was feeling a bit rushed at the end of the 3 hours!
In the process of shopping, I was able to take a minute and talk to the surgeon's office to set up my surgery to correct the deviated septum in my nose.  The kids and I are going out of town for a week and when we get back there is only a week left before school starts.  We were really worried about the timing of the surgery...getting an appointment before school but not during vacation.  It worked out perfectly (why did I doubt that God would time this all out for me?), and I am scheduled to go in on Monday, August 4 for a 3:30 pm surgery.  We also have all three kids at the dentist that day and football practice, but I know God will work that all out too! (smile)
Then on to the main specialist, the dentist, Dr. K.  This was mostly a re-check visit. It had been 3 weeks since I had seen him.  We talked about how important it was for me to do everything that he asked me to (vitamins, supplements, wearing my appliances, sticking to my gluten free, dairy free, sugar free diet, etc).  He told me it would be at least a 3 month span of all of those things, if not longer.  He was excited that I had set up the surgery and went over the process of it and recovery. He wants to see me 2 days post-op in order to laser the nasal area, which will aid in the swelling and healing process.  At the end, I was telling him about the long drive I would be making with the kids and my concern about no caffeine and asked if I could PLEASE have diet coke.  He encouraged other options first but admitted that he, himself had "cheated" and had a diet coke on a long drive a couple of weeks prior.  It is nice to have a doctor that is following the same diet guidelines and "gets it" and knows the struggles!  He also showed me a way to travel using a pillow that will help my neck on the long drive.  Hoping it does wonders, as the drive usually results in quite a lot of stiffness.
Have I mentioned lately how blessed I feel by this set of doctors?  Especially Dr. K.  Oh...he also gave me some suggestions to help me sleep better...last night, they didn't help, but that was probably because of a storm and 6 year old in my bed with her foot in my back!  Ha!  We'll try again tonight!
Still feeling hopeful, enjoying much less headaches and some lower pain days as well!  God is good...ALL the time!

No comments: