Last night I was in a funk. I was having a rough night and was simply grumpy. I was taking it out on my family, which made me feel grumpier and the cycle continued. I texted one of my dearest friends and told her I was having "a night"...basically whining to her. After telling me she would pray she text again and said, "Let's text back and forth things we are thankful for." Let me tell you that my physical pain and frustrations did not change as the night went on, but my attitude sure did. Honestly, I write down 3 things every day that show God's blessings in my life...but this "text-a-thon" was an amazing experience.
I just wanted to share some of the things that we found we are thankful for. Hopefully my sweet friend doesn't mind me sharing her thankfulness.
1. The sun today (Thursday) 2. A home to live and work in 3. Healthy children
4. A busy body 4 yr old who is "helping" me clean kitchen and load dishwasher (hmmm...that one was mine if you couldn't guess!) 5. Sweatpants and t-shirts 6. Plumbing! 7. Slippers 8. Coffee
9. The mute button on TV;s to block campaign ads! 10. Fingernail polish 11. Football 12. Texting!
13. Friends 14. Fresh pineapple 15. Hugs and I love you's 16. Blankets and pillows 17. Laughter
18. Dogs 19. Music (not mine believe it or not!) 20. Offers to help even when I won't accept it!
21. Dangly earrings 22. 4th grade basketball practice! 23. Being able to keep our baby girls and not being told to give them up 24. Someone coming home from the hospital 25. Long cold drink after walking 26. Clean towels 27. (adding on to 26...) fresh from the dryer 28. (adding on to 27...) Folded and put away 29. (adding on to 28...) by someone else! HA! 30. Electricity 31. Vehicles
32. Real mail 33. Chocolate 34. Lamplight 35. A good book 36. Fridays and jeans! 37. Caller ID
And in between it all, we were chatting about other things in our lives. I smiled. I giggled. I teared up a few times. I agreed out-loud at times. I forgot about being whiny! It was one of the neatest experiences I have had. I don't know about her, but I continued on with my night, doing laundry, working out, washing dishes, etc, and would keep checking my phone and texting her my thankful thoughts. I would get excited when my phone went off knowing there was a new one to share. I started being nicer/more patient with my family. My outlook changed. My physical issues did not, but my heart did. My heart was smiling.
So, my dear friend...thank you for not letting me wallow in the pain, but instead encouraging me to be grateful for all that God has done for me in this life! You are such an inspiration to me and I am so blessed to have you for a friend.
So what are YOU thankful for...make a list...text a friend...make your heart smile.
1 year ago
2 comments:
what a great idea! i'm glad it helped your attitude and heart. i will have to try this when i'm in a funk!
That is a great idea! Love it when friends know just the right thing to say at the right time! :)
Post a Comment